The BBC’s award-winning This World strand goes inside the world of Romania’s super-rich Gypsy popstars – a world of fast cars, lavish houses and gangsters.
The Roma community is one of the most marginalised and impoverished in Europe and for years their traditional music has been their most famous export. Now a new type of Gypsy sound called Manele has swept across the country. Manele stars can earn 20,000 euros a night at opulent weddings, with cash showered over them by guests. Their videos can get millions of hits on YouTube.
But Manele is controversial – some of its lyrics glorify gangsterism and some of its biggest fans are notorious underworld figures. Filmmaker Liviu Tipurita takes us into the heart of this extraordinary world.
- Crown for Christmas (2015) After getting fired from her job as a maid at a ritzy New York City hotel, Allie reluctantly accepts a temp gig as the governess to a young girl who […]
- Aferim! (2015) Eastern Europe, 1835. Two riders cross a barren landscape in the middle of Wallachia. They are the gendarme Costandin and his son. Together they are […]
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S02E06 – Kimmy Drives a Car! Season 01, Episode 06 – “Kimmy Goes to School!”
Kimmy’s GED class isn’t as educational as she’d hoped. Lillian helps Titus shoot a music video … in […]
- Still the King S01E07 – The King Has Left the Building After picking up a newly Re-Dazzled Elvis jumpsuit from Debbie, Vernon breaks parole by crossing state lines and going with Walt to an Elvis […]
- Major Crimes S04E12 – Blackout Jack Raydor (guest star Tom Berenger) is back again, defending a man who is attempting to withdraw a confession in the murder of his wife. A […]